25 March 2009

Cheese Stuffed Sausage

Tonight was a quick fix meal and I needed it! I had some fresh sausage that was "Philly Cheesesteak" flavored. Now I'm not exactly sure what that entails but it sounded intriguing. I simmered the sausages in beef broth to enrich the meaty-ness of it. (Yes I know, I make up words all the time.) Then "grilled" it under the broiler to make it crispy, one of my favorite techniques. Did you know a broiler is a grill upside down? Yes! I know! Use it!



1 can beef broth
2 Philly Cheesesteak Sausages
1/2 onions, frenched
1 slice 1/4" thick cheddar cheese

Add sausages and onions to broth. Bring to a simmer on medium heat. Turn heat to low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes (or until meat is cooked if it is fresh sausage). While sausage is simmering, line cookie sheet with foil and preheat broiler. Place sausage on cookie sheet and broil for 2-3 mins on one side until crispy. Turn onions and broth back up to medium to let boil and reduce broth (psst, we're making au jus-kinda). Meanwhile in the oven, flip sausage and cut a slit in sausage, broil for 2 minutes. Add cheese into slit in sausage and continue to broil until melty and gooey. At the same time, place rolls directly on oven rack to get toasty.

Serve sausage on toasty bun with onions on top. Place au jus in a small dipping bowl and serve along side. So tasty, so good and SO easy!!!

P.S. This serves two sausages, one with onions, one without; so if you both want onions, then add a whole onion to the simmering concoction. There's a million variations you can do on this dish. Be careful though, I overcooked my fresh sausage so it was a little tough. BUT I wouldn't hesitate to make it again!

No comments: